Sunday, December 20, 2015

Splatoon: Bomb Range Up! The Issue With E-Liters


Being someone who has played since launch, I had the sad opportunity of watching the game of Splatoon devolve into Snipertoon.  Sometimes when I pay, I wind up in rooms filled with nothing but snipers.  I could blame the fall of the roller and blaster in October for this, but I think the ability to rule over a map easily is the true poison that fueled their popularity.

There was a day, not so long ago, when there was only one sniper class.  Then another appeared and finally the entry that ended the true free spirit of the game, the day of the E-liter.  A broken mess of a monstrosity, that can kill at a baffling range, the E-liters have spread nothing, but fear and terror since they arrived.  One look at their stats in Sheldons shop would have any Roller mains knees knocking.  On top of their range they also have a sub weapon that can take out people that get too close, by simply spamming a button.  In some courses like Mahi Mahi, it appears to have no limits in it's reach.  Mahi Mahi also has sniper protections walls to hinder bomb throwing. Sometimes I really think the devs favor this class far too much.  (Not to mention how no brand favors Bomb Range up.  All this makes me raise an eyebrow of suspicion.)

When I first played the game, I was a roller main. The more I had to deal with snipers, specifically the E-liter, the more I wanted better range options.  Not to say rollers and the like can't take down a sniper.  They can.  But a good one?  Brother, you better pray to whatever God you believe in that they are not waiting for you.

I'll never forget the day everything changed.  It was just after the summer patch.  We were 3 vs 4 on a map, the NEW urchin underpass. Yeah we knew we couldn't really win, but no one should have to have gone through what my team did that day.  NONE of us had any long range options.  It was us vs two snipers, some gunner and a gold dynamo. Now I could have used my ink strike, true enough, but these dead eyes had us spawn camped. The other two on my team just kept running off the spawn and getting instantly killed. They had little choice else, unless they wanted to just stand and attempt to build a special.  The game can always feel a little unfair, but at that point it was totally broken.  FAIR was a concept furthest from what we were going through.  (As well as good game design.) If the snipers didn't get them as they fled, the no skill Dynomo would. Eventually I did use the ink strike and got them to move. Little good it did though.

That was the day a fire was born in me. A fierce rage started against all snipers.  One that was a very faint spark of hate, suddenly burned with the fire of the sun.  I started my quest to make snipers suffer. I wasn't going to be helpless anymore.  My bomb range and throwing skills would be perfected. On that day I started my quest to become THEIR worst nightmare.

I tested the limits of the ability after spending hours rerolling.  Little by little, I improved my range.  Guides and online faqs done by people that certainly had not acquired the proper gear said Bomb Range caps early on. I discovered that with three mains and 7 subs it was still going further.  Were the guides written by e-liters?  The same scum that asked for rollers to be circumcised?  I wonder. I have never seen anyone with perfect gear.  Right now all I have is my goggles perfected  What I have is good enough.  It throws about as far as an e-liter can fire and much further then a Kelp Splatterscope.

Since that day, I have had glorious sessions of making these assholes suffer.  I've even taken up the sniper rifle myself and found just how easy it is to use. (though I am certainly no master.) I wonder though, why they decided to add this class to the game?  Splatoon was far more fun before the E-liter.  Short to mid range weapon variety made everything function better.  Once they came on the scene, you always had to worry about being able to counter them.  Cause if you couldn't, could you count on other team mates to man up?  I have seen situations on towers, were people WILL NOT MOVE, even after the snipers are taken care of. They sit and crap themselves, because of the rain of death e-liters bring.  Something feels very broken about that.  Add hit scanning and Japanese lag into the equation and you have one broken weapon. Not to mention they can lessen their charge time by stacking damage up, which also makes their sub weapon over powered.

FallenAngel helped me create the wonderful propaganda poster above.  I want to spread the word.  There is hope to end their terror.  There are counters without having to resort to specials, or becoming one of them.  Join the heroes of the bomb range up brigade!

On the brighter side of Splatoon stuff, my Plushies came from Amiami today! Man, they are much smaller than I thought they would be.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...